Do you want to start or open an online store, rather an e-commerce store?
As a beginner, it may seem like building an online store is a critical mission, especially when you are not a techy. Well, you’re not alone.
After helping hundreds of users start an online store, we have decided to create the most detailed guide on how to start an online store in 2019 in 8 steps using wordpress (plus other platform we will mention).
What Do I Need to Open an Online Store?
If you want to start a successful online store, it’s today. It’s right now to make your dreams come true.
You actually do not need any special skills to build an online store, all you have to do is follow our guide on ecomSprout.
Before that, let’s list the things you need to start an online store.
- A domain name or idea (this will be the name of your online store i.e ecomsprout.com).
- A web hosting account (this is where your website lives on the internet, just like where you live in this world – I believe you live in a house wink 😁)
- Your undivided attention for 30 minutes.
Yes, it’s actually very simple.
You can setup your own store with wordpress in less than 30 minutes and we will work you through the process fearlessly!
In this tutorial, we will cover :
- How to register a domain name for free.
- How to choose the best woocommerce hosting.
- How to get an SSL for free (required for accepting payments).
- How to install wordpress.
- How to create a Woocommerce store.
- How to add products in your online store.
- How to select and customize your theme.
Ready? Let’s get started then.
Which Online Store Platform Should I Use?
One of the mistakes people make is choosing the wrong platform to start their online store. You shouldn’t make any mistake or it will affect you in the future.
Perhaps, you’re here, you won’t make any mistakes. 🙂
The two popular ecommerce platform we recommend is Shopify OR WordPress + WooCommerce.
Shopify is a fully hosted eCommerce solution that starts at $29/mo. It’s a hassle free solution, where you just login and start selling. You willl get a hosting, free SSL and varieties of free and professional plugins and themes to use.
The downside is, Shopify is expensive and gets more expensive as you grow and your payment option are limited unless you pay additional fees.
But when it comes to deign, professionalism, checkout experience and layouts, Shopify is the winner. You can go for it, if you’re capable of the fees and not on a budget.
This is why most users use WordPress + WooCommerce because it’s cheap & affordable and their are professional themes to make your online store attractive and magnificent. WooCommerce is the world’s largest eCommerce platform.
In this guide, ecomSprout will walk you through on how to open an online store using WordPress + WooCommerce.
In our first three (3) steps above, to setup an online, you need a domain name, web hosting and SSL Certificate.
- Domain name : This will be the name of your online store i.e ecomsprout.com and it normally costs $14.99/yr.
- Web Hosting : This is where your website lives on the internet, just like where you live in this world and it normally costs around $7.77/yr.
- SSL Cert : This protects your site from hackers, it makes your online look professional and at the same time required if you want to accept payments on your store and it normally costs $69/yr.
Thankfully, Bluehost, an official WordPress and WooCommerce recommended hosting provider has agreeed to offer our ecomSprout users a free domain, free SSL certificate and a discount on web hosting.
So, for purchasing only a discounted web hosting plan, every other thing is added all for free.
You can get started for as little at $6.95/mo.
Click here to Claim this Exclusive Bluehost Offer.
You will get everything you need to start from the fourth (4th) step.
Bluehost is one of the oldest web hosting companies, started in 1996 (that’s before google). They’re also the largest brand name when it comes to WordPress hosting because they host millions of websites.
Now, let’s go ahead and purchase your web hosting + free domain name + free SSL cert.